Communities: New Westminster Real Estate
Located at the centre of the lower mainland, New Westminster is the oldest city in western Canada and the first capital of British Columbia. It has maintained its small-town charm over the years and today New Westminster continues to attract new families and businesses alike.
Situated 20 km east of Vancouver, travel to Vancouver International Airport, downtown Vancouver and the US border can take as little as 30 minutes.
As of October 19, 2010, there were 510 properties for sale in New Westminster. The listing prices for apartments range from approximately $125,000 for a 411 sq ft studio apartment, to just under $1,000,000 for a 3,656 sq ft 2bedroom & den waterfront penthouse apartment.
The cost of a detached home in New Westminster ranges from just under $415,000 for a 73 year old 1,287 sq ft, 4 bedroom house in Queensborough, to $1,175,000 for a 4,161 sq ft, 6 bedroom house in the Queens Park area.
Population in 2009: 65,016
New Westminster's School District (School District 40) has nine elementary schools, two middle schools and one secondary school. French immersion is offered at two elementary schools, both middle schools and the secondary school.
New Westminster is also home to three post-secondary institutions:
The New Westminster Campus of Douglas College is located in the downtown area. Douglas College offers Bachelor's degrees, and general university arts and science course. The College is a recognized leader in career programs in health care, human services, business and creative arts.
Justice Institute of British Columbia is Canada's leading public safety educator recognized internationally for outstanding education in the areas of justice and public safety.
The Boucher Institute is Western Canada's first and only accredited naturopathic medical school and offers both a four year and six year Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine program. Located in the Boucher Center is the Boucher Naturopathic Medical Clinic, a public naturopathic clinic and teaching facility with over 700 patient visits per month.
With its nearby transit, road links, walking and bike trails, the City's convenient location at the centre of Metro Vancouver makes travel easy to all surrounding communities. New Westminster is connected with five SkyTrain stations providing rapid transit access to points throughout the region.
New Westminster is served by Fraser Health, which operates Royal Columbian Hospital, a regional referral hospital for trauma, critical care, cardiac, maternity, newborn intensive care and neurosciences for 1.5 million people from Burnaby to Boston Bar. RCH is also a UBC teaching hospital with a newly expanded Clinical Academic Campus and a community hospital serving New Westminster residents.
New Westminster has 350 acres of parks and greenspace that account for 9.24% of total city area. New Westminster neighbourhoods are connected to the waterfront location and linked together by parks and greenways along with a network of biking and walking trails.
Numbers taken from the 2006 Census:
- New Westminster makes up 2.8% of Greater Vancouver's population.
- Compared with the Metro Vancouver (MV) region, New Westminster has a smaller share of residents under 20, but a slightly larger share of young adults 20-34 years old.
- Compared with the larger Metro Vancouver region, New Westminster has a significantly lower number of couples with children, and a much larger number of people who live alone.
- In 2006, 53.8% of dwellings in New Westminster were owned, while 46.2% were rented.
- Of respondents who noted speaking predominantly one language at home, 78.9% reported speaking English.
- In 2006, 31.7% of New Westminster's population were immigrants. This share is less than that found in Metro Vancouver (39.6%).
- The unemployment rate in New Westminster is exactly the same as Metro Vancouver at 5.6%.
- When travelling to work, 60% of commuters choose to drive their own vehicle, while 27% use public transit.
Browse New Westminster Real Estate:
- Connaught Heights Homes
- Downtown NW Homes
- Fraserview NW Homes
- GlenBrooke North Homes
- Moody Park Homes
- North Arm Homes
- Quay Homes
- Queens Park Homes
- Queensborough Homes
- Sapperton Homes
- The Heights NW Homes
- Uptown NW Homes
- West End NW Homes